Two riders suffer fatal crashes during qualifying for Manx Grand Prix
Two riders have suffered fatal crashes within 24 hours of each other during qualifying for the Manx Grand Prix motorcycle race.
Spectators come from around the world to watch a series of races on the course on the Isle of Man, an island in the Irish Sea between England and Ireland. The course goes along closed public roads, with fans able to watch up close from hedges, verges and viewing platforms around the island and its quaint villages.
Competitors reach top speeds in excess of 200mph (321kmph), and the TT (Tourist Trophy) main event is the most exhilarating and potentially lethal road race in the world, with 273 deaths between it and the annual August Manx Grand Prix.
Swiss competitor Mauro Poncini, 29, died after a collision in the opening lap of Tuesday’s qualifying session on the island. The accident, which involved two riders, took place at Cruickshanks in Ramsey at around 6.50pm local time.
On Wednesday afternoon, Sam Naughton, a resident of the Island, was killed in a crash on the western part of the course. The 37-year-old married father of four was taking part in the event for the second time, after he made his debut on the 37.7 mile (61km) Mountain Course in 2025.
Those deaths come after another rider was killed following a crash in qualifying for the separate Isle of Man TT race on May 27.
Daniel Ingham, 33, from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, U.K. suffered fatal chest injuries in a crash which happened at the same part of the course as Naughton’s.
In May, Hollywood actors Brad Pitt and Channing Tatum were on the island filming scenes for a movie about the race.
Only four days before Ingham’s death, a 68-year-old rider, Alan Oversby, was also killed while taking part in the Pre-TT Classic road races. Oversby crashed on the approach to Ballakeighan Corner on the Billown Course, in the south of the island, on lap two of the 400cc Race on 24 May.
Douglas Courthouse heard that the veteran competitor, from Bolton le Sands, Lancashire, had suffered an aortic rupture and died at the scene. He was a regular competitor in the races with 16 wins, including two on the day of his death.
In a statement, Manx Grand Prix Races said it was deeply saddened to announce the death of Naughton, who had been a regular competitor in other road racing events since 2020.
“The Manx Grand Prix Races pass on their deepest sympathy to his wife Charlotte, his children Bonnie, Liam, Jesse and Parker, his family, and friends,” it added.
Naughton’s wife paid tribute to her husband on social media earlier on Thursday, writing on Facebook: “I don’t think I’ll ever process yesterday. I am absolutely broken beyond belief. Sam was my absolute world, my best friend, my partner in crime. We were a team and right now I’m struggling to get through each minute, the thought of a life without him is making me sick.
“Thank you for everyone’s messages and support. It’s going to be a long road ahead for myself and our babies.”
Qualifying for the MGP, which is held in parallel to the Classic TT, is scheduled to continue on Thursday afternoon. It began on Sunday, with racing set to conclude on August 28.
Other competitors suffered life-changing injuries during this summer’s TT racing. Maria Costello was seriously injured in a sidecar crash along with racing partner Shaun Parker on May 26.
The 52-year-old Costello was taken by helicopter to hospital in Liverpool after the accident and is currently paralysed with a broken back, broken arm, multiple broken ribs, liver laceration, and serious facial injuries.
Parker was treated in hospital on the Isle of Man after the crash, which happened at the Brandish section of the circuit.
Speaking to The Athletic before her crash in May, Costello said: “I’ve broken 24 bones in my career, but they kind of even out over 30 years, don’t they? As long as my body keeps going, I’ll keep racing.”
In June, she thanked everyone involved in her care. “The past four weeks have been the biggest challenge of my life and I know I’m lucky to be here,” she wrote on social media. ‘This is only the start of my new journey but your support means everything!”
Their accident was one of several crashes involving sidecars this year, which eventually resulted in the Sidecar TT being suspended from the 2026 schedule.







