Oil rises after Bessent says U.S. will collapse Iran with economic pressure

Oil rises after Bessent says U.S. will collapse Iran with economic pressure


Iranian exports are no longer factored into global oil prices, says Rapidan's Bob McNally

Oil moved higher Thursday after Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the U.S. will impose the toughest sanctions in history against Iran.

“We have the blockade and we are going to have the toughest sanctions in history,” Bessent told CNBC in an interview. “This will work. It worked in Venezuela once we put up the blockade. It is working in Cuba right now and it is going to work in Iran, and we are going to collapse this regime.”

Brent crude futures — the international price benchmark — rose 2.4% to reach $93.78 per barrel by 11:49 a.m. ET. U.S. West Texas Intermediate futures were 3% higher at $88.39.

Bessent said he will hold a press conference Monday to lay out President Donald Trump’s plan to wage “economic warfare” against Iran.

Trump said Wednesday in a Truth Social post that he will announce the “MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY!”

Oil prices rose more than 3% earlier in the session after Trump’s threat. Bessent told CNBC on Thursday that the market was misinterpreting the president’s comments. The U.S. ramping up economic pressure means there likely will not be a return to large-scale combat operations, he said.

“I’m not sure why oil has popped up on this,” Bessent said. “If we are doing the maximum economic pressure, then that means that likely there will not be a large-scale kinetic restart.”

The oil price rise also comes after the UAE said Wednesday it was halting all trade and financial transactions with Iran after the Gulf state said it had come under fire from the Islamic Republic on Tuesday.

Stock Chart IconStock chart icon

hide content

WTI.

The UAE, one of Iran’s key commercial partners, said two ballistic missiles had been launched toward its territory from Iran. Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei denied the strikes.

The move heaps further pressure on Iran, which is already facing economic sanctions from the U.S., and pushes the prospect of any renewed ceasefire agreement further from view.

Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *