Pierre Sage’s Palace inbox: More defenders needed, Sarr and Mateta situations, Everton learnings

Pierre Sage’s Palace inbox: More defenders needed, Sarr and Mateta situations, Everton learnings


This was not how Pierre Sage wanted his Premier League managerial debut to go.

He somehow has to follow on from the most successful manager and period in Crystal Palace’s history, and a 2-0 defeat on the opening weekend by Everton highlighted the magnitude of the task ahead.

Sage said in his pre-match press conference that it was an extra challenge to pick up from the three trophies won under Oliver Glasner but that he does not feel any pressure. He might do now.

“Frustrated,” was his overriding emotion given the first half was largely encouraging. But Palace’s familiar issues in front of goal were again apparent, as they were too often last season. They did not score in four of their seven pre-season games (including the two shorter Como Cup matches), too, albeit with a much-changed squad.

The Frenchman has been restricted in his preparation by external factors. He has rightly cited the lack of time to work with his players, particularly those returning from the World Cup, but in his post-match press conference he also spoke of the new signings having had little time to adapt. Much of the work to do was psychological, Sage said.

What happened at Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday leaves pressing issues to address, but there are some signs of encouragement, too.


Need for centre-back cover becomes more desperate

The priority, Sage identified, was adding more numbers at the back. Takehiro Tomiyasu is a good addition but he will not be able to play every week given his injury history.

Sage said he needed a leader, which has been lacking since Maxence Lacroix joined Chelsea this summer for £52million ($69.2m).

After 68 minutes against Everton, Chadi Riad attempted to prevent Thierno Barry from shooting only for his right knee to buckle, appearing on replays to almost remove itself from its socket. The pain seemed excruciating, with the Morocco international taken off on a stretcher holding his shirt over his face.

Chadi Riad was stretchered off at Everton on Saturday (Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Sage refused to be drawn on an initial prognosis in his post-match press conference, in which only The Athletic asked questions, but it suggested this appeared serious.

“For the moment I don’t know,” the Palace coach said. “He’s with the doctor and physios. We will do tests tomorrow or Monday. He’s had this kind of thing in the past (with an MCL and ACL injury) we have to be respectful of that and not give him fake information.”

Palace had already been keen to sign another centre-back after selling Lacroix, and The Athletic reported on Friday that they were close to a loan deal to sign Axel Disasi from Chelsea. Any doubts over whether that deal would be concluded would have been banished as soon as Riad was taken off.

But it raises the question over whether Palace need more than one in the position. They will know the extent of the injury before the transfer window closes, but while previously any second addition might have been an inexperienced youngster, they may now need to reconsider. Sage must be backed accordingly.


The future of his squad

Palace rejected an offer for Ismaila Sarr from Turkish side Galatasaray, after it fell significantly below their valuation. That interest has inevitably been unsettling and the forward did not travel to Everton, despite Sage saying on Thursday he would be available.

The 28-year-old has been managing a slight groin injury, something Sage said post-match had worsened: “The doctor, the player and I took the decision before our training session yesterday to let him have treatment”.

There was not a clear denial when explicitly asked whether the Senegal international wanted to leave. “We don’t want him to leave, he is under contract with us for three years and he will be with us on Monday,” Sage said. “That’s the most important information for me and for you.”

Uncertainty surrounds the squad, with Jean-Philippe Mateta disillusioned, his long-standing contract offer remaining unsigned and a year left on his deal. He twice missed excellent chances to give Palace the lead, although that those opportunities came was at least positive. The Athletic reported on Sunday that he is in dispute with Palace over the final year of his contract.

Jean-Philippe Mateta is disillusioned at Crystal Palace (Lewis Storey/Getty Images)

Daniel Munoz’s future is also unclear. Palace had been more open to selling the right-back after signing Anan Khalaili and Oscar Mingueza, but he may yet stay. He was at fault for Everton’s opening goal after losing possession easily and selling would allow them to reinvest elsewhere, such as in central midfield, where Sage would like a ball-winner.

Palace missed Sarr’s directness, with summer signing Dwight McNeil, Eddie Nketiah and Mateta not showing a full understanding. 


Room for encouragement

Despite the problems and taking away the disappointment of the result, this opening game offered positives for Palace under Sage, particularly given all of those issues.

The 47-year-old said afterwards that he did not learn anything but had confirmation of what he already knew and that there had been improvement from pre-season. Patience was the message before the game and it seemed to be the same afterwards.

“You don’t have to cancel your ideas, you just have to work more and give confidence to players to (work) as a team and a unit,” Sage said.

For much of the first half Palace were dominant. They showed some of what he wants, moving the ball wider quickly and playing short, sharp line-breaking passes. The energy dissipated in the second half, taken away by two goals and the lack of familiarity between the squad.

“We had a lot of new players who didn’t train too much with us,” Sage explained of his side’s depleted energy. “It’s psychological and it’s not only about the way of playing but how you want to win.”

There is much to navigate in this period. But there was enough on display to see that, although the challenge at Palace is a complex one, once the transfer window has closed and players have become more familiar with both each other and the new approach, improvement should follow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *