Mavericks, Stars resolve dispute, plan to stay in downtown Dallas through 2031


The outside of the American Airlines Center in April. The scoreboard shows the Dallas Stars logo.

The American Airlines Center will remain the home of the Mavs and Stars, at least for now. Stacy Revere / Getty Images

The Dallas Mavericks are no longer engaged in a legal battle with their co-tenant at American Airlines Center, the Dallas Stars.

On Monday, the Mavericks and Stars released a joint statement saying they had put their issues behind them.

“The Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars have reached an agreement that resolves the outstanding matters between the two organizations,” the statement read. “American Airlines Center will continue to serve as the home of both teams at least through the 2030–31 season.”

Tensions between the teams became public in October when it was revealed that the Mavericks had filed a petition for injunctive relief over what they said was a breach of contract.

Dusty May leaving for pros is familiar for Michigan fans

Austin Meek

The Mavericks alleged that the Stars agreed in 1998 to keep their team headquarters within Dallas city limits — an agreement the Stars had been in violation of since 2003, when the team’s headquarters opened in Frisco — and that the Stars weren’t paying their fair share of renovations to maintain American Airlines Center, the building in Dallas’ Victory Park neighborhood that the teams have shared since 2001.

The Mavericks and Stars will continue playing at American Airlines Center for the next five seasons, but both teams appear headed elsewhere shortly thereafter.

In June, the Mavericks entered into an option agreement to purchase 104 acres at the former Valley View Mall in North Dallas. The Mavericks’ intention is to move into a new arena that they own ahead of the 2031-32 NBA season.

The Stars, meanwhile, could leave Dallas entirely. In June, the Stars said that they had signed a letter of intent to move forward in developing a sports and entertainment district in Plano, a suburb roughly 25 miles north of downtown Dallas. Under this plan, Plano taxpayers could cover as much as $700 million of what’s expected to be a $1 billion project.

The Mavericks have been involved in multiple lawsuits since Patrick Dumont and Miriam Adelson bought a majority share in the team from Mark Cuban in December 2023. In July, Cuban’s lawyers filed a Rule 202 petition in which he alleged that he was entitled to information being withheld from him in the Mavericks’ bid to develop a new arena and sports entertainment district. The back-and-forth between Cuban’s and Dumont’s lawyers died down in August, when Cuban withdrew his petition.

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition Logo

Connections: Sports Edition

Spot the pattern. Connect the terms

Find the hidden link between sports terms