Falcons not feeling pressure to name starting quarterback, but clock is ticking


FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — The Atlanta Falcons are three weeks into training camp and about to head to Indianapolis for two joint practices against the Colts. And it doesn’t sound like they are any closer to naming a starting quarterback than they were when training camp began in July.

“I am very comfortable with where we are right now, and that’s kind of where I will leave it,” coach Kevin Stefanski said Monday. “We are continuing on our process, keeping the main thing the main thing, which is the practices this week.”

Tua Tagovailoa started Friday’s preseason opener and had a chance to build a lead over Michael Penix Jr. in the competition, but Tagovailoa finished 3-for-5 for 22 yards and led the offense to just one first down in two series.

“Obviously we evaluate everything that our players do, on the field, in the meeting room,” Stefanski said. “He wants to be better. Our offense wants to be better. Our coaches want to be better, but our focus will be on continuing to get ready for this season and not getting too far ahead of ourselves. We want to be where our feet are.”

Drake London breaks down film, space vs. leverage, Kevin Stefanski and more

Robert Mays

Tagovailoa described himself as “frustrated and disappointed” with his performance.

“You have to make use of every opportunity you have, and that’s not what we did,” he said. “Definitely not up to standard. I have to be better for our guys.”

Tagovailoa would like to play in Saturday’s second preseason game against the Colts, but the starters won’t play because they’ll be getting so much work during the joint practices, Stefanski said.

Penix is still being held out of 11-on-11 practice work and games while he rehabs the torn ACL he suffered in Week 11 last year. He will continue with his current practice regimen — working in individual drills and seven-on-seven work — and Stefanski and Indianapolis head coach Shane Steichen have built in time during each of the two practices to make sure Penix can participate.

There is no timetable for naming a starter, Stefanski said Monday, and that’s not the only decision the Falcons have to make at the position. With veteran Cooper Rush and undrafted free agent Jack Strand also in camp, Atlanta will have to decide by Aug. 30 whether it wants to keep two or three quarterbacks on its opening 53-man roster.

“I have been a part of doing it both ways, but I think you have to take everything into account. Can you afford the luxury of keeping those guys? Sometimes you can. Sometimes you can’t,” Stefanski said.

The Falcons haven’t decided if Rush or Strand will start Saturday’s game in Indianapolis. Either player could be put on the practice squad if he doesn’t make the 53-man roster, but other teams could claim them.

Strand was 6-of-12 for 50 yards and had one rushing touchdown in his NFL debut on Friday.

“Always room for improvement, but proud of him for his first time out there,” Stefanski said. “It’s a testament to him and what he was able to do early in camp when he was the one guy standing there. Like any rookie, (there’s) so much to work on. And that’s the fun part of working with our rookies. Jack’s got a great attitude. Love how he is in the meeting rooms, love how he is on the grass.”

“It was pretty cool,” Strand said. “It was a little different from playing in a Division II stadium (he played in college at Minnesota State Moorhead), but it’s the same game I’ve been playing since I was 6 years old.”